1. Redeeming Reason: A God-Centered Approach now available
Dr. Poythress has released a new book explaining the laws of human reasoning and offering counsel for how to apply them in light of the gospel.
Humans use reasoning to understand and order the world around us. We apply this logic in a variety of contexts, from classifying simple objects to considering complex philosophies. But how should our identity as Christians–made in the image of God (Gen. 1:26-27) with minds renewed by the Holy Spirit (Rom. 12:1-2)—inform our reasoning?
Vern S. Poythress explains how all human reasoning reflects God’s nature. Providing a foundational understanding of God as the source of rationality, Poythress details the 3 fundamental laws of logic–identity, contradiction, and excluded middle–with a strong focus on analogical reasoning. This robust guide explains types of analogy, ethics applied to logic, the use of analogies in the doctrines of God, and more to give readers a renewed perspective on how to use reason as a follower of God.
- Thorough Study of Reasoning: Explores the 3 fundamental laws of logic along with various kinds of analogy, including syllogistic reasoning, formal deductive reasoning, inductive reasoning, and scientific models
- From the Author of Logic: A God-Centered Approach to the Foundation of Western ThoughtThis book continues Poythress’s look at reasoning, placing it under the lordship of Christ
- Great for Students, Pastors, and Christian Philosophers: Includes helpful visuals and appendices for learning and applying various systems of logic.
2. Redeeming Our Thinking about History: A God-Centered Approach now free on ebooks page!
Dr. Poythress’ recent book, Redeeming Our Thinking about History is now available for free download on the ebooks page.